[members] Fw: [ELCC] The STP/Andy Granatelli, Lotus Turbine car...

Mark Velky dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 13:29:50 CDT 2012

CLNW Member

    Passing it along.

Mark

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Douglas Jackson <douglasejackson at hotmail.com>
To: ELCC Members <elcc_org at googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, October 8, 2012 4:53 PM
Subject: [ELCC] The STP/Andy Granatelli, Lotus Turbine car...

Hello:

I just thought a few of you might be interested in taking a look at the STP/Andy Granatelli, Lotus turbine car that raced at the 1968 Indianapolis 500 that is on loan and on display at the LeMay - America's Car Museum right now down in Tacoma.

I took this and a few other pictures of this car when I was down at the LeMay Car Museum last Tuesday morning meeting with the Events Coordinator to do some advance planning for next year's (2013) West Coast Lotus Meet which our club is going to be "Hosting" that is going to be happening in and around Seattle, Thursday, July 4th thru Sunday, July 7th... put this multi-day event on your calendar, it's going to be a lot of fun!!!

According to the information sheet, this car (#70) was being driven by Graham Hill. It had started in 2nd place and was in 4th place when the right rear suspension collapsed sending Graham and the car into the wall and out of the race, during lap number 110. The STP/Lotus being driven by Joe Leonard started the race in first place and was leading with only nine laps to go when his turbine experienced a "flame out" causing him to have to pull into the infield with no power... dang!

Car #70 is on loan from The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Foundation and I don't know how much longer it's going to be on display, so, if you've ever wanted to see one of these unique cars (used/allowed at the Indianapolis 500 only once!), you might consider visiting the LeMay Car Museum sometime soon.

Doug Jackson