[members] Fw: News from Friends of P.I.R

Mark Velky dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 11:26:49 CDT 2012

CLNW Member

    Passing it along.

Mark

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Friends of PIR <info at fopir.com>
To: dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:45 AM
Subject: News from Friends of P.I.R

LATEST NEWS
NASCAR Returns August 2012
Arount the Track
Drag Racing at PIR
INFORMATION
FOPIR Website
DownloadsSend In Your PIR Articles and Photos
ABOUT FOPIR

Friends of PIR is a non-profit service organization committed to the
preservation and enhancement of PIR as a resource for those who use it, both
participants and spectators alike; sustaining and expanding PIR's civic
contribution as an institution in North Portland; providing guidance and support
for the ongoing management of PIR in a manner that assures its ongoing value as
a venue for motorsports, police training, bicycling, and other diverse forms of
recreation and entertainment.     CHECK OUT PIR UPCOMING EVENTS
Portland International Raceway Scheduleor download the complete 2012 Schedule (PDF)

NASCAR K&N Pro Series  & Great American Stock Series (GASS) This Weekend! (Aug 25 - 26)

The NASCAR K&N Pro Series West, Salute to the Troops 125 returns to PIR this weekend. The event will be supported by PRO 3 BMW and the Portland, OR based Great American Stockcar Series (GASS).

 Around the Track   By Mark Wigginton - PIR Track Manager

Just like that the Summer is drawing to a close. I'm waiting for the first morning I walk outside to drive to the track and it's hits me: it's Fall already, with crisp mornings to match.

But that doesn't mean the season is over. Far from it. The The Columbia River Classic/All British Field Meet returns this Labor Day weekend, with plenty of great cars on display on Saturday, a swap meet on Sunday and vintage racing all three days. It's a great weekend, and the weather is usually perfect.

Motocross is still in full racing mode, and runs through September, so if you haven't been out this year you owe it to yourself to see what a fun event it is. A couple hundred riders from 6 to 60, a beautiful facility and a fast moving program all add up to a lovely evening in the park.

New to PIR this year is the Scream at West Delta Park, a Halloween extravaganza in the Broadacre lots, complete with carnival rides and fright shows. It opens early in October.

And to complete the season, the Holiday Light Show will return starting on Thanksgiving and running through Christmas. The first Monday after Thanksgiving is the traditional dog walk night, and the next Monday is for cyclists. Come and enjoy the fun.

  Bracket and Drag Racing "Gearing Up" For More Racing At P.I.R.
By Carol Brown

The Wednesday evening, Bracket Racing Program is getting ready to choose a Team of our best racers, to represent the Portland International Raceway, at the NHRA Division 6, E.T. Bracket Racing Finals.  This is where the best racers meet and compete against the racers from each of the Division 6 tracks in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and SW Canada.  The Division 6 Finals will be held at Pacific Raceway in Kent, Washington, from August 30th to September 2nd. The top four racers in each bracket - Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman, Motorcycle, and the top 2 High School racers and top 3 in each of the Junior Thunder and Jr. Lightning brackets, will compete in the Race of Champions, while at Pacific Raceway, as well as in the Team Race, which consists of a combination of 56 of the top racers, from each bracket.  The winners of the Race of Champions, at the Division 6 Bracket Finals, will then head to Pomona, CA in November, where they will compete against
 the top bracket racers in the United States and Canada.  Last year, we sent a racer to Pomona - our own, Paul Comeau, who is the reigning Division 6 Pro Champion for the USA and Canada. Our own Ken Lang was the Jr. Lightning, Division 6 champion.  Team Portland hopes to claim the most points, bring back the Wally for 2012, and send racers to Pomona!

Also, the Wednesday night Bracket Racing program is "gearing up," for our King of the Track Series, with a coveted Wally, going to the last racer standing.  The King of the Track race, is a 6 race series, in which racers will vie for top points, starting on August 22nd, then skipping to each Wednesday in September, with the final race slated for October 3rd, barring any rainouts.  The top 4 racers in each bracket - Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman and Motorcycle, will then compete at the 6th race, to see who will be the King of the Track.  Our last year's King of the Track winner was Casey Allum!  All races are weather permitting, so please check with the track, if the weather is questionable.  We hope to see you come out to either watch, or race in the King of the Track series!

The Les Schwab, Late Night Drags is continuing each Friday and Saturday night, with gates opening at 6 P.M., with racing going to 10 P.M.  The Gresham-based, Oregon Beat the Heat crew, just held their annual, Beat the Heat/Krystal Pomante Memorial race on August 28th.  Racers were able to challenge and race the Oregon Beat the Heat Camaro, to see if they could "beat the heat."  Trophies are given out at this event, each year, for the Fastest Bike, Fastest Car, Fastest Reaction Time, and Most Consistent E.T.  Other police departments have joined in, with the Troutdale,  Fairview and Multnomah County police departments, racing and also competing for the honor of "Top Cop."  Sergeant Bernie Meyer of the Fairview P.D. won the trophy!  Photos from the Bracket Racing and some of the Late Night Drags, can be seen on the www.Portlandraceway.com Website, on the Main Page under Quick Links, and "Drag Race Photos."
  We hope that you will come join us for any of the drag racing events at P.I.R. before the season ends in October.  The Beaches Cruise-In also continues through September 26th, on Wednesdays.  Come watch drag racing and enjoy the food, classic cars and fun while summer lasts!

Cascade Sports Car Club Driver Training School
     2012 Driving School and High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) underway. The last event this year is scheduled for:  September 22nd (Chicane event).

Sign up on Cascade.MotorSportReg.com or email: Tracy Klein

The Drivers Training Class is held at Fast Specialties, 1200 NE 95th St., Vancouver, Washington.
 .

Driving SchoolGet on the fast track with the CSCC Track Driving School course at P.I.R.Driving School Schedule & Info

FOPIR Is On FacebookFriends of PIR has a part of the social networking community of Facebook.  Follow us for the latest in FOPIR news and happenings.

FOPIR Now Accepting Donations
Friends of PIR are now accepting donations online or by check. Several user
groups have made some great donations to FOPIR. Please keep FOPIR
in mind when making end of the year donations. We appreicate your continued
support.

Mail donations
to:
Friends of PIR
13625 NE Jarrett St
Portland OR
97230

Or online at:
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001rvQPPFjhBYLVFIoWRIC194835vhZnkxV_t0cT2TSx5Vf6CiO--fHIZ3vie_qusZ0cFYSHFdxT3UxWwcoHLVV4ldTCx-TBCQUbE44lnIS8iKrLARsKu4aUA==
(look for the Pay
Pal link on main page, bottom left side)

Forward email

This email was sent to dmc.lotus at yahoo.com by info at fopir.com |
Friends of P.I.R| 13625 NE Jarrett St| Portland| OR| 97230