[members] Fw: News from Friends of P.I.R

Mark Velky dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 14:36:24 CDT 2013

CLNW Member

    Passing it along.

Mark

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Friends of PIR <info at fopir.com>
To: dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:11 PM
Subject: News from Friends of P.I.R

LATEST NEWS
Arount the Track
Al Unser, Jr., and Corvette celebration at the Portland Historic Races
53rd Running of the Rose Cup Races
INFORMATION
FOPIR Website
DownloadsSend In Your PIR Articles and Photos
ABOUT FOPIR

Friends of PIR is a non-profit service organization committed to the
preservation and enhancement of PIR as a resource for those who use it, both
participants and spectators alike; sustaining and expanding PIR's civic
contribution as an institution in North Portland; providing guidance and support
for the ongoing management of PIR in a manner that assures its ongoing value as
a venue for motorsports, police training, bicycling, and other diverse forms of
recreation and entertainment.     CHECK OUT PIR UPCOMING EVENTS
Portland International Raceway Scheduleor download the complete 2013 Schedule (PDF)
 Around the Track   By Mark Wigginton - PIR Track Manager

Warm weather means a return to serious action, on the road course, the drag strip and the motocross track. With the season in full swing it's worth pointing out a few highlights of the summer to come.

First is the introduction of what could be a great new event, the 8 Track Relay on July 20th. It's a 24-hour team running relay race, but the difference here is there will also be two days of concert action for the runners to enjoy. Twenty bands, hand-picked by Mississippi Studios, will be on stage at the Chicane. The 4-mile course winds around PIR, with the handoff area in the Pro Pits. There will be a Saturday night fireworks show, then quiet late-night music as well around the bonfire. Be part of the first year of the 8 Track Relay and sign up your team now.
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fjMJ8nnl-NDyy97J1xQeMy4tLFnnoGhARoISc8PMlzzWVFXUkBGoGwukkdmOnDEGEVz3RYdJI-Pf-tOv7g5zyXk6DvMViNl6DMsX2MyTgcHtySCGZZmE4Q==

We are doing lots of 5k events this year as well, from the Color Run to Kiss Me Dirty, from the Neon Run to Foam Fest. Check them out at our website. http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fjMJ8nnl-NDqXyoKD5AbZUvqjr7i2uKwQc-lWevDyjQybRlfKRN-fkxgVYo0OQNOtO9ZAAuHDWrxc74bXbnAoNocIyi0CHrxEV6Z6KcyBTpWOzz7EiIZ_haygqhMBqSa

Speaking of the website, it's all new, with great looking graphics, a simple to use calendar that will push to your smart phone and more. Thanks to the folks at Magneto, it's a winner.

Coming up: Rose Cup June 14-16, and the Portland Historics (which moves to the weekend BEFORE the 4th of July for the first time...so don't miss it).

We are getting great crowds coming back for the Late Night Drags (notice we lack a title sponsor...call if you want to talk about it), as well as huge fields for motocross.

It should be a great season.

See you at the track.

 Al Unser, Jr., and Corvette Celebration at the Portland Historic Races June 27-30    By Llew Kinst

The thirty-seventh running of the Portland Historic Races at PIR is shaping up to be one of the best in years. The 60th anniversary of the Corvette will be the feature for this years Portland Historic and racing gets underway on a new date; June 27-30 this year. Unser, Jr., will be on hand to meet the fans, sign autographs and share stories of his illustrious career throughout the weekend.

The event attracts over 200 prestigious historic race cars from across the nation. Can-Am, Trans-Am, Formula, Sports Racers, from marques like Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, Cobra, Corvette will be on track all weekend.   Boasting an open paddock, the Portland Historic Races allow enthusiasts the opportunity to see race cars up close and interact with the drivers and crew. The event also features a display of more than 700 collector cars and hot rods, an autocross, and an extensive vendor midway.

Al Unser, Jr., the 1990 and 1994 CART Champion will return to the site of his first Indy Car win in 1984 at Portland International Raceway. Along with the inaugural 1984 CART race, Unser, Jr., won at Portland two more times, '94, and '95 and was on the podium 4 additional times.

"Our family has been in racing for over 4 generations so the history of the sport is very important to me." Commented Unser.  "I am looking forward to meeting the fans and drivers, enjoying these great race cars and sharing a bit of our family history."
  For more information go to http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fjMJ8nnl-ND5mmlGrmqVKdICh-WVv95KA42G8VsbMqRj1hc7Y_msrUvD-1jN-2Jeflo-xjUxzZEy02Dp17iuNQf5J2Mg4f-kGdRV65RAA2YFH3MLI-8FdgSfd_AaAk4m

53rd Running of the Rose Cup Race on June 14th - 16th
By Danielle Christensen- Portland Rose Festival

The 53rd running of the Portland Rose Festival Rose Cup Race will be one of the largest and most varied in event history with over 400 entrants from all over the United States and Canada.

The full Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) schedule of races includes: the Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA West, featuring the exotic Porsche 996 and 997 cup cars, the Portland Karting Association and the Rose Festival Cruise-In presented by Williams Controls.

The Festival Trophy Race will showcase the competitive Spec Miatas, one of the largest classes in the SCCA. Portland is home to several of the top West Coast Spec Miata teams.

The Rose Cup Race presented by Monte Shelton Jaguar will again feature high horsepower, high performance Corvettes, Mustangs, Porsches and other production-based race cars. Past winners Neil Shelton and Matt Crandall will be joined by local challengers who seek to add their name to the trophy.

The tradition of road racing in Portland goes back over 100 years. In June 1909, the Wemme Trophy was awarded to Bert Dingley, who won a race held on public roads between Portland and Gresham. Today racers in the Vintage class compete for the Wemme Trophy sponsored by AAA Oregon.

The Portland Karting Association will be exhibiting a variety of kart classes, with many different motor sizes and road race speeds of 65 to 130+ mph. From SuperKarts to situp to laydown type, there is class for most anyone. Karting is a family-oriented sport with racing opportunities for kids 5 years old up to adult and master classes.

The 2013 Rose Cup weekend will also feature the Sixth Annual Rose Cup Cruise-In presented by Williams Controls. The Cruise-In will take place Sunday, June 16 from 10 am - 3 pm. Entrants can show off Hot Rods, Customs or Cool Rides of any year and compete for trophies.

Pro Drive is sponsoring the Pro Drive Racing Challengeon Sunday, June 16. This race will conclude the West Coast Bragging' Rights Championship, a competition between racers from Oregon, Washington, and California. Many of them will have completed a multi-race swing throughout the Southwest, including a race weekend at the new Circuit of the Americas F1 track in Austin, Texas.

Admission:
3-day General Admission: $20 advance, $25 at gate
Single-day General Admission varies: $5 to $12

Tickets are available at all Ticketmaster outlets, online at http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fjMJ8nnl-ND3C1rpqPf3fkcovanRt0R_TQY3RRAltc8ZgEmjI35Y2vFB9y0Qs65z8MAvaIrV-UAgDuoGkhFobx9d2oC_zeIe5X73WrgKItEYbUz6YLkh3w== or calling 800-745-3000. Motorhome passes are available only through the Portland Rose Festival office at 503-227-2681.

Driving SchoolGet on the fast track with the CSCC Track Driving School course at P.I.R.Driving School Schedule & Info

FOPIR Is On FacebookFriends of PIR has a part of the social networking community of Facebook.  Follow us for the latest in FOPIR news and happenings.

FOPIR Now Accepting Donations
Friends of PIR are now accepting donations online or by check. Several user
groups have made some great donations to FOPIR. Please keep FOPIR
in mind when making end of the year donations. We appreicate your continued
support.

Mail donations
to:
Friends of PIR
13625 NE Jarrett St
Portland OR
97230

Or online at:
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fjMJ8nnl-NDwzYmSBCklLIN0FgdEv8sRX4Nl2aWo65CBOtxb9ugdNp_Cb4NbqxXeFubNdnjDkGeTDsZHvVCo64bwyMwlzeN_ACfVvj4I8dn7E6HT3oWFZQ==
(look for the Pay
Pal link on main page, bottom left side)

Forward email

This email was sent to dmc.lotus at yahoo.com by info at fopir.com |
Friends of P.I.R| 13625 NE Jarrett St| Portland| OR| 97230