[members] Fw: News from Friends of P.I.R

Mark Velky dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 12:06:58 CST 2013

CLNW Member

    Passing it along.

Mark

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Friends of PIR <info at fopir.com>
To: dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:15 PM
Subject: News from Friends of P.I.R

LATEST NEWS
Around the Track
Zombie Rises from the Dead
NHRA King of the Track
Winter Driving
INFORMATION
FOPIR Website
Downloads

Send In Your PIR Articles and Photos

ABOUT FOPIR

Friends of PIR is a non-profit service organization committed to the
preservation and enhancement of PIR as a resource for those who use it, both
participants and spectators alike; sustaining and expanding PIR's civic
contribution as an institution in North Portland; providing guidance and support
for the ongoing management of PIR in a manner that assures its ongoing value as
a venue for motorsports, police training, bicycling, and other diverse forms of
recreation and entertainment.     CHECK OUT PIR UPCOMING EVENTS
Portland International Raceway

 Around the Track   By Mark Wigginton - PIR Track Manager

The season is drawing to a close, with just a few more events before the Winter Wonderland Holiday Light Show goes up. It opens this year on Thanksgiving, and there are special events throughout the run, including a foot race, a dog walk night, and a bicycle night.

It was a season of change, that's for sure. NASA joined in the road-racing mix this year with two events, plus we had an explosion of 5K events. That trend continues in 2014 (the schedule should go up on the website in December), almost a full dozen running races that go on while we are either road racing or drag racing. The numbers are getting better for motorcycle track days and high performance car days, and we are looking for that trend to continue in the new year.

We had a successful Fall PIR Auto Swap, with the south paddock full of booths and buyers, and many of them found themselves in the grandstands watching the Cascade Sports Car Club Enduro as well. Multi-use, thy name is PIR!

Here's to everyone having a great holiday season, and a great racing season in 2014.
  See you at the track.

Zombie Rises From The Dead!    By Carol Brown

After a year of sitting with a broken motor, the White Zombie came to life again in June! John Wayland was contacted by the PBS Nova program producer, wanting to feature his electric drag car in a segment of the program "Making Stuff," called "Making Stuff Faster." The repairs were made and the film crew came to Portland and did some filming at P.I.R. on Saturday, June 8th of this year.  The show aired in October, but you can watch the Zombie in action at the link, HERE. The segment featuring White Zombie is at the 18:42 minute mark.

John Wayland considers the Portland International Raceway as his home track.  The White Zombie has attracted much attention all over the world, being featured in many TV programs, magazines and articles.  White Zombie has the honor of being the world's fastest, street legal, electric drag race car.

(Photos provided by Carol Brown)

Gregg Heriford Named King of the Track      By Greg Rollin

As an NHRA sanctioned track, every year, PIR has the opportunity to hold a King of The Track race.  While the specific format can vary from track to track, the end result is to crown an overall track champion - regardless of category.  PIR conducts ours as a five race points series after the regular season points have ended.  During this mini points series, points are earned just as they are during the regular Wednesday night bracket racing season.  At the conclusion of the five qualifying races, the top six points earners in each category - Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman and Motorcycle (Jr. Dragsters and High School categories do not compete in the KOTT) will run off for the top spot - The King of The Track.  In this all run, one category format, Super Pro bracket cars can be paired up against motorcycles for example, Pro bracket cars against Sportsman cars and any combination of the four categories will compete in the five round race until 23 cars have
 been eliminated.  Along with bragging rights, the winner receives a highly coveted NHRA "Wally" trophy plus a cash payout.
  While you can always count on seeing close bracket racing competition on any Wednesday night, but as you can imagine, this best of each category runoff always produces some very close racing excitement.

After it was all said and done, the series came down to Bill Heard's Super Pro bracket 1978 Pinto and Gregg Heriford's Pro bracket 1972 Vega with Gregg taking the victory and 2013 Portland International Raceway King of The Track title.

(Photos provided by Carol Brown)

Prepare for Winter Driving Weather      By Todd Harris

Winter weather has arrived, and that means hazardous road conditions.  Give your family the winter driving skills they'll need by signing them up for Pro Drive's Car Control and Defensive Driving Course.  This behind-the-wheel training is the best way for drivers to learn techniques required for driving in bad weather conditions and is currently on sale!

Visit ProDrive for more information. http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001yvRkjYzutgnVktgFEmCNhoanbBh2Hpi7HaAqzBbLsN2G_auzeKqN3RVmo-B4y5-6NCnCndJrOQu4UCWM0SCqALqYuLTDVDVZbNApIh_d9wOpucNBo5HWf8bD4aelz0k5YP6lJ-baJY-gDDdA7cBUxO8G40llEwFSRlJ5EynuTCU=&c=ZF9MpTZETsetmxOXDhshwc_WecEAC8uJvV1FRleY5AIwPIpLQTe-2g==&ch=apS4idLQNaOFjPhy-zPbyhhwRqMpfWAC8PFJrDhs2iVupOazUN8yXQ==

Driving School
Get on the fast track with the CSCC Track Driving School course at P.I.R.Driving School Schedule & Info

FOPIR Is On Facebook
Friends of PIR has a part of the social networking community of Facebook.  Follow us for the latest in FOPIR news and happenings.

FOPIR Now Accepting Donations

Friends of PIR are now accepting donations online or by check. Several user
groups have made some great donations to FOPIR. Please keep FOPIR
in mind when making end of the year donations. We appreicate your continued
support.

Mail donations
to:
Friends of PIR
13625 NE Jarrett St
Portland OR
97230

Or online at:
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001yvRkjYzutgnVktgFEmCNhoanbBh2Hpi7HaAqzBbLsN2G_auzeKqN3fPtd4Y_POfWvLP-z-Y0gHLhzVeZVPOYsu4nGxwhh0cHf68vcOa-sliILTYG5MLWTsruSVdvUfdzXj3sxlIp62yCoZjg7wPgwkPQRydBVmXOPf8kmUtk3F0=&c=ZF9MpTZETsetmxOXDhshwc_WecEAC8uJvV1FRleY5AIwPIpLQTe-2g==&ch=apS4idLQNaOFjPhy-zPbyhhwRqMpfWAC8PFJrDhs2iVupOazUN8yXQ==
(look for the Pay
Pal link on main page, bottom left side)

Forward email

This email was sent to dmc.lotus at yahoo.com by info at fopir.com |
Friends of P.I.R| 13625 NE Jarrett St| Portland| OR| 97230