[members] Turbo Esprit - letter to Headings Sports & Exotic Car magazine

Dave M davem.jma at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 20:10:33 CST 2014

Overall, I liked the article but felt a few misleading points needed to be
addressed.  This was sent to the editor:
----
Dear editor,

As a long-time owner of a Lotus Turbo Esprit, I welcomed your recent
article on the Lotus Turbo Esprit. I've owned my 1984 Turbo Esprit for over
22 years and have enjoyed it very much. The remarks given in the "Owner's
Viewpoint" were accurate and reflected the experience of someone who loves
the car, who appreciates its good qualities, and who is also aware of the
pitfalls from neglectful prior owners. Properly taken care of, these are
wonderful cars.

I would like to point out some errors, however. Although you are correct in
that the S2.2 and S3 were never officially imported to the U.S., those cars
were never designated Turbo Esprits. First, the U.S. received the S1 and S2
normally aspirated cars with the type 907 engine. Next came the S2.2 and S3
for the non-U.S. market and they had the type 912 normally aspirated
engine. Then, in 1983, the U.S. received what was called the Turbo Esprit
and that had the type 910 engine with the turbocharger, producing 210 bhp
and 200 lb-ft (the Essex Turbo Esprit was in 1981, but that was non-U.S.).
So, to summarize, it is incorrect to consider the S2.2 and S3 as Turbo
Esprits and, starting in 1983, Turbo Esprits were legally imported to the
U.S. Also, the type "901" engine you refer to does not exist among Esprits.

Overall, this was a very good article about a car that is often ignored in
American automotive publications.

Regards,
----