[members] Fw: News from Friends of P.I.R

Mark Velky dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 4 18:54:10 CDT 2013

CLNW Member

    Passing it along.

Mark

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Friends of PIR <info at fopir.com>
To: dmc.lotus at yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:40 PM
Subject: News from Friends of P.I.R

LATEST NEWS
Arount the Track
National Dragster Challenge Wally Awards
INFORMATION
FOPIR Website
Downloads

Send In Your PIR Articles and Photos

ABOUT FOPIR

Friends of PIR is a non-profit service organization committed to the
preservation and enhancement of PIR as a resource for those who use it, both
participants and spectators alike; sustaining and expanding PIR's civic
contribution as an institution in North Portland; providing guidance and support
for the ongoing management of PIR in a manner that assures its ongoing value as
a venue for motorsports, police training, bicycling, and other diverse forms of
recreation and entertainment.   CHECK OUT PIR UPCOMING EVENTS
Portland International Raceway Schedule

or download the complete 2013 Schedule (PDF)

 Around the Track By Mark Wigginton - PIR Track Manager

We are heading into Fall and so far Summer and has seen a lot of exciting action.

The Bug-in returned on August 4, which always brings a big crowd of VW fans who competed in drag races and a car show, as well as there was lots of trading of bits and pieces at the swap meet.

And the SCCA  partnered with the Great American Stock Car Series for a dual weekend of racing those sporty cars and tin tops August 23-25. There was plenty of great racing whichever way you leaned.

If you haven't made it to a Beaches Cruise-in and NHRA drag race Wednesday, you are really missing the boat. Beaches attracts a consistent 1,000 (that's right, a thousand) hot rods, show cars, vintage sports cars and motorcycles every week. The show in the field is matched on stage; with a new band each week, plus some great food. Oh, and then walk to the grandstands (taking care to look both ways, as there are drag cars returning to the pits after their runs) and watch some hot action on the drag strip. The Beaches Cruise-in continues through September.

We are doing lots of 5k events this year as well, from the Color Run to Kiss Me Dirty, from the Neon Run to Foam Fest. Check them out at our website.

And we just wrapped up the All-British Field Meet and Columbia River Classic vintage races on Labor Day weekend. Saturday's ABFM car corral typically features 800 British cars on the grass (insert snarky "British car - oil leak - Superfund" site joke here). With the great car show paired with all the wonderful vintage racers on track, it's a wonderful way to celebrate the end of summer.

We are getting great crowds coming back for the Late Night Drags (notice we lack a title sponsor...call if you want to talk about it), as well as huge fields for motocross. So there is something for everyone every week.

See you at the track.

Six Racers Claim Wallys in The National Dragster Challenge at P.I.R.    By Carol Brown

(Photos Right to Left: Cooper Chun, Emily Mix, Mike Nicholson, Nick Shepherd, Gordon Cady, Jr., Phil Lang)

The annual, National Dragster Challenge was completed on Wednesday, July 3rd, at the Portland International Raceway. Six racers took home a coveted Wally trophy after beating out the competition in each of their respective brackets.  Two of the racers were Jr. Dragster racers in the National Jr. Dragster League Challenge.  Cooper Chun took the Wally in the Jr. Thunder bracket, beating his cousin - Ava Glenn.  Emily Mix claimed the Jr. Lightning bracket Wally, over Brenna Taylor.
 In Super Pro, Richard Dietrich beat Mike Nicholson in the final, and took home the Wally and in the Pro bracket, Nick Shepherd won the Wally in the final against John Masterman.  The Sportsman winner was track champion - Gordon Cady, Jr. who beat out Adam Tabor, adding another Wally to his collection and the Motorcycle winner was Phil Lang, who wheeled his Suzuki GSX -R in a win over many-time track champion, Mark Canty also racing a Suzuki.

Thank you to all who participated and congratulations to our 2013 National Dragster Challenge winners!

Driving School
Get on the fast track with the CSCC Track Driving School course at P.I.R.Driving School Schedule & Info

FOPIR Is On Facebook
Friends of PIR has a part of the social networking community of Facebook.  Follow us for the latest in FOPIR news and happenings.

FOPIR Now Accepting Donations

Friends of PIR are now accepting donations online or by check. Several user
groups have made some great donations to FOPIR. Please keep FOPIR
in mind when making end of the year donations. We appreicate your continued
support.

Mail donations
to:
Friends of PIR
13625 NE Jarrett St
Portland OR
97230

Or online at:
www.friendsofpir.com
(look for the Pay
Pal link on main page, bottom left side)

Forward email

This email was sent to dmc.lotus at yahoo.com by info at fopir.com |
Friends of P.I.R| 13625 NE Jarrett St| Portland| OR| 97230